Do you have more than one dog and want to train them together? Have you ever thought about doing group training? Didn’t know this was possible? In this article, you will learn valuable group dog training tips!
How Does Training Work?
The relationship between dogs and humans, as we all know, is ancient. This friendship arose out of mutual necessity, and humans needed help hunting animals, and dogs that helped received food in return. From this relationship of mutual assistance, more and more dogs were used as work animals and were trained to improve their performance. Currently, in big cities, dogs no longer have their main auxiliary function in tasks such as hunting and protection. Dogs are now considered family members whose main task is keeping their owners company. With this accumulation of energy, which was previously spent to carry out activities, and confined in small spaces, dogs are presenting unwanted behaviors by the owners such as destruction of objects, excessive barking, and even aggression. In these cases, training becomes an essential tool to establish a good tutor-animal relationship.
And what does training consist of? In a simplified way, training dogs in teaching through repeated commands. With the increasing number of dogs as pets and the narrowing of the tutor-animal relationship, tutors’ perception of the need to educate and entertain their animals has also increased. In these cases, training is essential and provides several benefits for dogs and their owners. Get to know some benefits of training now!
Training can promote several advantages for dogs, mainly related to mental health. Studies prove that they become more sociable, both with other animals and with people. Also, there is a reduction in stress and anxiety, consequently, there is a decrease in undesirable behaviors. In addition, the tutor-animal relationship becomes closer, with a better understanding of dog needs and better communication between owners and dogs.
There are no harms related to the practice of training. However, be aware, that training poorly planned and executed with the misuse of products that harm the animal, such as choke and shock collars under expert guidance, can cause trauma to dogs and impair their learning. Therefore, always opt for positive training, with positive reinforcements, such as praise, rewards, and, above all, respect for the animal.
How Do You Train A Dog Group?
Now that we know the importance of training for the health and well-being of dogs, let’s understand how group dog training works and what are the main benefits.
Group training is the best strategy for you who have more than one dog or a puppy. This type of training consists of improving aspects such as socialization, relationships, and canine language. The main advantage of joint training is learning that becomes faster and more effective. This is because dogs are very observant and learn by imitation, especially puppies, so the sooner they are socialized with other dogs, the better their social skills will be.
And how is the training done? Is there no risk of fights? Don’t worry, because in group training it is always interesting to count on qualified professionals who understand canine behavior, are attentive, and will know how to deal with any type of adverse situation. Therefore, you must choose a reliable place where you will leave your dog for training. Ask questions to the trainers and visit the place to follow some training. But, if you want to do the training at home, be aware of the most common mistakes in dressage so you don’t make them:
- Don’t expect quick results: be patient and resilient, your dog may take a while to understand what you are proposing;
- Do not fight and carry out severe punishments: without a doubt this is one of the worst mistakes made, in addition to making training difficult, it can cause trauma and bring harm to your relationship with your dog;
- Blaming the dog: never blame him for not being able to meet goals you have set, respect his limit and have patience in learning;
- Not being clear in commands: the language of dogs is different, so be clear when transmitting a command, always use the same tone of voice and the same gesture;
What Are The 7 Golden Rules Of Dog Training?
Now that you know the main training mistakes made by owners check out seven valuable tips to train your dogs and get a faster result:
- If possible, start when they are still puppies. It will make the process easier and faster. But if your dog is already in the adult stage or even senile, do not despair, with a little more patience and time, your dog will surely learn easily.
- Positive reinforcement: it is very important that when the dog hits the command you praise, pet, and encourage him. You will find that positive reinforcement will speed up the learning process.
- Consistency: it’s no use training the dog once a week without keeping a routine, be consistent! Organize a time, something around 15 minutes a day, to dedicate yourself to training your dog.
- Nobody likes to study all day! Don’t exhaust your dog just with training, play with him, and don’t stop interacting in other ways.
- Start slowly: teach simple things first, like sit, stand, paw. As you notice that your dog is smarter, increase the difficulty level of the training.
- Rewards: As well as positive reinforcement, which also works as a reward, you can provide snacks during workouts to encourage them even more, but be careful, don’t overdo it!
- Be patient! Don’t expect your dog to learn all the commands overnight, respect his time and make learning fun.
How Do I Create A Training Plan For My Dog?
If you train your dogs together you mustn’t give too much attention to just one dog, as this will generate conflicts such as jealousy or rivalry. Understanding the temperament and specificity of each dog is essential, this will help you to put together a suitable training plan, respecting the particularities of each animal. Therefore, to set up the best training plan, observe the behavioral patterns of each dog, know the best way to scold him and also the best way to reward him. A great example is when the dog does not like noises and loves chicken snacks, the best way to scold him would be to use a higher pitch in your voice and reward him with chicken biscuits.
If even following the tips you can’t establish a routine and can’t get good results, seek the help of a specialized professional. Remember that training is very good for the mental health of dogs, as well as improving your relationship with them.